Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Girls will be girls

Maybe this makes me a bad mom, but before Anya was born, I had hopes that she'd be a bit of a tomboy: not afraid to get dirty, indifference to clothes/shoes, and especially skipping the whole princess phase because she decides it's dumb.

While Anya hasn't reached the ages yet to be interested/uninterested in the things above, she certainly hasn't escaped her biology. She is currently very much into baby dolls: feeding them, rocking them, walking them in a stroller, and cuddling them. She even wants her doll to come with us on errands and she holds baby close while we're in the car.

Grandma Lodwig took Anya to the community center to play last week. According to grandma, some "big kids" were rough-housing and knocked a baby doll onto the floor. Anya rushed across the room to the doll, picked it up and cuddled it to make sure it was "OK".

Like with any other toys, I try to neither encourage nor discourage her playing with dolls and just let her play with what she's interested in (ok, well, I did buy her a toddler tool set and encouraged her to play with it). But when I see her next to her little boy friends (Flynn, Noah, Toly, and Max), there is such an obvious difference in interests. The boys immediately go for the cars, and when looking at books they skip over the dolls and animals and immediately flip to the machines and trucks. Anya, on the other hand, flips past the trucks and focuses on the dolls and animals.

Not to say that Anya seems like a "girly-girl": she is very active and likes to get dirty. But I am still hopeful that part of her will win out and she will still skip over the stupid princess phase that's probably unavoidable.

1 comment:

Christina said...

actually, Luca is very lovey dovey with stuffed animals, too. We don't really have 'dolls' for him to play with, but he has little stuffed animals that he snuggles, kisses, and hugs. I love it! He also hates getting dirty (which means he has no interest in feeding himself). That being said, he also loves to crash cars, trucks and trains---so we'll see what happens!?! Sorry that we won't see you tonight, we miss you guys!